[Public-list] Lexan or Acrylic ?

Brian Palmer Bpalmer at DigitalArsenal.com
Thu Sep 23 15:18:03 PDT 2004

A bandsaw works best for cutting Lexan or Acrylic.  The blade, being
much longer, has time to cool down during each revolution to where the
plastic doesn't melt.

Just my $0.02 :)

-Brian Palmer
L'Esprit #288

-----Original Message-----
From: public-list-bounces at alberg30.org
[mailto:public-list-bounces at alberg30.org] On Behalf Of FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 5:47 PM
To: public-list at alberg30.org
Subject: Re: [Public-list] Lexan or Acrylic ?

In a message dated 9/23/2004 1:21:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
billblevins at mac.com writes:

I bought  4 - 12" x 24" smoked sheets of plastic from Canal Plastics
Center. I am  very satisfied with the results, however, I have no idea
if
they were  Acrylic or Lexan, however, the owner of this place has a
sailboat and knew  what to recommend to me. I think each sheet at the
time was $14 and they  arrived the next day. This place was recommended
to me by another sailor  who had done similar work. Seems like the
product I bought had some UV  resistance if that makes a difference with

the smoked tint.

Canal  Plastics Center
345 Canal Street
New York, NY 10013
(212)  925-1032
(212) 431-5901 (fax)

Bill Blevins
Sabrina  #158

Ah, Canal Plastics.............brings back one of the nice memories of
NYC
when I lived there, before moving to Fairhaven, MA.  All those stores on
Canal
Street; electronics, tools, supplies, duct tape.........you never   knew
what
you would find.

I found cutting regular plastic always a chore as you could not let the
jig
saw blade get too hot, or the plastic melted, and then quickly reformed
on the
 blade.

Lee
Stargazer #255