[Public-list] Lexan or Acrylic ?

Gary Barker gbarker at swfla.rr.com
Tue Sep 28 08:06:47 PDT 2004

Soon after we purchased our boat, we replaced the large ports with Lexan.
Here are a few observations:

1. It took us about 1/2 day per port to complete.

2. Use the approved adhesive sealer for the Lexan. We purchased a bronze
tint Lexan and the
dealer had a matching adhesive.

3. The original plastic was cut much smaller than the opening it fit into.
This appeared to be due to the
fact that as Stephen mentioned, the openings are all different. We custom
cut each one to fit the opening,
but I cleaned the openings up with a grinder first to remove old adhesive
and smooth out the rough edges.

4. I left the protective cover on the Lexan during cutting, and when
installing I peeled back the edges only.
This helped keep the excess adhesive off the rest of the piece.

5. Since the frames bolt through the cabin and the window actually "floats"
in between them, I used small
nylon nuts as spacers to keep it centered between the frames. I used 6 per
port spaced around the edges.
These are small enough to be completely embedded in the adhesive.

6. We taped EVERYTHING. When we had bolted the frames together, we removed
the tape while adhesive
was still wet. This left a very clean edge.

7. This job is very messy and tedious. Allow lots of time.

The bottom line is that after 8 years, we have no cracks or leaks from these
ports and the adhesive shows no sign
of deterioration.

Gary Barker
Blarney #563