[Public-list] RE: boom gallows - or boom Crutch

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Tue Sep 28 12:34:14 PDT 2004

I grew up sailing on a Friendship Sloop of the wooden nature and recall
that we often lost the boom crutch or crotch overboard on really windy
days.

This device was carved and cut from oak, mahogany or any other wood you
choose and was essentially an X with a bolt in the cross section. It was
placed on the deck and could easily be mounted in the aft section of the
cockpit. The boom sat on it & voila.

However I do not see the need for this type of device these days as you
can easily use the Boom topper(topping lift) or a hard vang to get the job
done & reduce the clutter on deck. Plus probably with a hard vang have a
really good piece of safety equipment to boot.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57