[Public-list] Re: Ignition switch

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Apr 25 07:04:27 PDT 2005

Gord, A30 people,

It seems to me that the need for anyone to be able to kill the engine
from the cockpit is an important safety consideration.

Another plus with having the key near the original location is that the
wires are very easily accesible inside the locker if the switch should
fail in any way (I had a new marine grade switch fail intermitent in its
2nd year, in a fresh water boat!). If need be you can cut one of these
light gage wires and likewide strip and twist the ends back together in
the locker. If you locate the switch inside, and bury it in a panel, you
not only make it less accessible, but you lose the access to the wires
themselves.

They sell hinged plastic switch covers at electrical supply houses,
similar to those in aircraft, designed to keep you from acidentally
turning off something important. Maybe something like that would address
your concern.

My $0.02,

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Itahca, NY