[Public-list] would be owner

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Mon Apr 4 10:28:03 PDT 2005

I support the need for a good survey. I purchased mine for $8600. A fire sale price.  The owner needed money. I had made a personal very through presurvey inspection of the boat and knew that the boat was in good shape. The survey was pretty good - only found one thing I did not see. As it turned out, he did not address the engine because that was not central to his role. I undderstand there are suirveyors who specialize in engine inspection. My suggestion is: make sure lookvery carefully at the engine especially if it is an old A4. In any case,  the engine died a predictible death. For the rest, thought I have spend a lot of money, except for the new engine - another A4 - all the money I have spent has been on improvements I wanted, not things I had to have. Patty makes a very important point - have a good sense of what you can do yourself and how much you are willing to pay others and for what. If you find a boat that suits you, I am sure you will love it. My stance is that my estate will sell the boat - unless my wife decides she wants to sail seriously and then I would look for a bigger Alberg.

>>> Timbuktu5555 at webtv.net 04/02/05 12:16 PM >>>
Definately get a good survey, it will cost you less in the end.  Also,
I've found out the expensive way that it's cheaper to buy a boat that is
already in good or bristol condition than to spend time and money
repairing.  Every dog gone time it's good weather to work on my boat
it's even better weather to just say, "What the heck, let's go sailing!"
I paid initially only $10,000 for my Alberg 2 years ago.  Sails, engine
repair, infra-structure repair, new head with holding tank and pump out
port, rigging upgrades (including a new harken traveler, spinaker lines,
halyard, tackle), HVAC system (I now realize I didn't need), and I have
over $25,000 in the boat and now there are some deck issues where some
of the stantions are pushing through the deck....arrgh!  But, I'd sell
you my Alberg for $29,999 today, firm, as is, because I love it and
that's what it's worth to me.  But, if I had to do it over again, I
would have gotten a really good survey where the guy spend a couple of
days going over everything and I probably wouldn't have bought it
because I'm not handy and I had to pay for all the repairs and upgrades.
If you are a handyman yourself and enjoy doing these things I'd say buy
a fixer upper.  They Alberg is a wonderful boat and easy to single hand
to boot!  Happy hunting!

Patty
Timbuktu #461