[Public-list] leaks

EddieDiver at aol.com EddieDiver at aol.com
Wed Apr 6 12:37:16 PDT 2005

All this conversation of bedding sail tracks keeps referring to silicone
sealant. Practical Sailor and West Marine Advisor advises against using silicone
on boats, in general, but certainly where there is standing water. Polyurethane
is strongly recommended.

I re-bedded a polycarbonate (Lexan) "skylight" in my sliding companionway
hatch 2 years ago. Because of the large expansion/contraction of the Lexan, I
thought it prudent to go against the anti-silicone advice. Silicone does accept
large movement. BAD move. As I wiped off the excess silicone alongside the edge
of the Lexan, I accidently must have smeared it on the bare wood. The varnish
absolutely refused to adhere to the bare wood. TMy silicone salesman friend
said that many factories and shops, where painting is their business, forbid
using silicone anywhere in their plant for fear of subsequent paint failure on
their products

I finally discovered a liquid additive to put in the varnish to prevent the
"fisheyes" where the varnish would not adhere. It is called "Smoothie" by
Marson, Atlanta, GA. It is available at large automobile paint stores. A little
drop will do it. (Sounds like Brill Cream for us old timers.)

Ed. Schroeder #303