[Public-list] Ignition wiring - Compass location.

Robert E Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Thu Apr 28 09:38:10 PDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 12:01 AM, Philip Bartlett wrote:

> Two thoughts from someone who spent the winter re-wiring...

> Second, on my boat the compass is still in its original cutout and,
> before rewiring, used to deviate when the running lights or spreader
> lights were on because of the unbalanced wiring on the other side of
> the fibreglass.

My compass has always been on the port bulkhead. This places it away
from both the engine and the electrical panel which is right in front
of the compass cutout. The compass cutout is used for the depth
sounder. (I remember that I had to look around for a model of depth
sounder that would fit when I replaced the original one.)

I have found that I was able to adjust the compass to as close as you
can read it (about one degree), and that we did not need a deviation
table. Before each summer cruise we would swing the compass, usually
making small corrections. When we first began sailing offshore from
Provincetown to Maine (usually to Matinicus Rock), it was before we had
loran or GPS. We found that we were within hearing of the lighthouse
after 30  hours (120 nm) of sailing by the compass. I know that you are
not supposed to hold a  course to that accuracy. We sailed the offshore
leg under autopilot and the method we used was for the person in the
cockpit to keep glancing at the  compass and if it appeared that the
average reading was a degree to the left,  make a correction of two
degrees to the right. Using this technique several times we
successfully found the Rock in 100 feet of visibility by homing in on
the sound of the horn. Later, of course, this was no problem after we
had loran.

I would suggest that if someone is replacing a compass that is located
in the cutout that he relocate it on the bulkhead instead of leaving it
in the cutout.

Regards,
		Bob Johns, Wind Call, #397