[Public-list] all rope main halyard

Lincoln Finkenberg finkenbergl at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 11:10:40 PDT 2005

I switched from the wire/rope main halyard to all rope (3/8).  You need to modify the two aluminum plates on the mast just above the sheave - I believe these act as a guide to prevent the wire from "jumping the track".  The plates make just enough room for wire to run under - but not enough for 3/8" rope.  I simply cut and filed smooth the plates to allow for the rope to travel undernearth. It may have been my relative inexperience - but with the wire halyard it jumped the track more than once - but only when I was in a bind.

Linc, Gypsy 158