[Public-list] Thoughts before painting

George Mathis georage at comcast.net
Wed Aug 17 17:18:00 PDT 2005

I have recently purchased an Alberg 30 and will be repainting it in
early September.

The boat has probably never been repainted, except for the bottom, and
aside from deck crazing, the paint is in reasonable shape. The bottom
has flaking, but I think that is from countless layers of hard bottom
paint.

Here is my plan. Please tell me if I am crazy. I have never painted a boat.

* Sand bottom with 80 grit and fill dings with epoxy filler. Sand fair
and paint with Interlux Bottomkote ACT, which apparently can go over
"anything" according to Interlux.

* Rough up topsides and apply Toplac one-part polyurethane over existing
paint. I am using the same basic colors, so do not see a need for an
epoxy primer over the entire hull. I think I can put Toplac right on top
of the existing paint.

* Use epoxy primer on the decks to fill crazing, sand it down, then use
Toplac one-part poly.

As you can tell, I am using one-part paints, mainly for ease of use and
to prevent countless hours of sanding. I already have ALL the hardware
and everything else removed from the deck, so three of us should be able
to knock out everything in a week, if the weather cooperates.

I would also like to know how much paint I should invest in. Does anyone
have any idea how much antifouling paint, topside paint, and deck paint
is usually required when painting an Alberg 30.

Thanks for any advice!

-- Regards
George Mathis (#439)