[Public-list] Thoughts before painting

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Aug 17 17:38:14 PDT 2005

George Mathis wrote:
> The boat has probably never been repainted, except for the bottom, and
> aside from deck crazing, the paint is in reasonable shape.

Has the boat ever been painted at all?  If it's white, it's likely to be
the original gelcoat.  If so, I would buff it out rather than paint it.

> * Use epoxy primer on the decks to fill crazing, sand it down, then use
> Toplac one-part poly.

You may have a hard time getting other types of paint to stick to an
epoxy primer.  I wouldn't do that.

Also, be aware that painting the non-skid makes it more slippery.

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash