[Public-list] Propane

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Mon Aug 8 06:30:48 PDT 2005

Pete,

I did some research on this as well and discovered horizontal tanks are
available to.  At first I thought about raising the lazarette floor and
installing drain holes outboard above the water line.  One problem is how to
ventilate the volume when the boat is healed and the downhill vent is under
water.  I also learned that the "locker" can only contain the LP cylinder(s)
so, all other lazarette storage would be lost.

Another idea is to install one or two fiberglass cylinders (a few inches
larger than the tank diameter) inside the lazarette extending fore/aft from
the transom to the bulkhead at the aft end of the cockpit with the
cylinder(s) lower at the transom end.   A few drain holes drilled through
the transom at the lower arc of the aft end would provide ventilation at all
angles of heal.  Round access ports installed in the cockpit bulkhead (under
the traveler) could provide tank and valve access.  The cylinders could be
installed flanking the sides of the lazarette hatch but would reduce storage
capacity.

It might also be possible to glass in chambers on either side of the back
stay for vertical tanks accessible from access ports near the aft end of the
deck.  The "floor" of each chamber would need to slope down toward the lower
end of the transom and the height back there is limited so, if there is
room, it would probably be only enough for small tanks.

A few potential problems.  I have installed vertical, fore/aft bulkheads
outboard  in my lazarette (for internal dorade boxes) and it is way hard to
work in there.  I got stuck once and only got out by removing my belt.  It
will be a pain working in such close quarters and getting ventilation
sufficient to avoid that "epoxy headache."  Glassing-in tubes connecting the
transom and cockpit bulkhead will stiffen things back there.  Page
contributors more knowledgeable than I warn that the boat was designed to be
flexible and adding arbitrary stiffening might mess up the overall hull
flexure.  A solution to this is to use shorter cylinders fastened to the
transom only that are caped at the forward end (inside the lazarette).  This
solution might also be easier to install.  To get the tanks out, it would be
necessary to have access ports at the capped end of the cylinder and in the
cockpit bulkhead. One unavoidable problem is having explosives on board but,
that's your call.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy, Rubber/Scraper and Check Writer
Alberg 30 #148, PERFECT intentions
N40-33.92, W79-51.25

"You don't have to think outside of the box, but it doesn't hurt to peek
over the edge once in a while."
Leonardo Da Vinci (or somebody like that)