Dinghy stowage - was [Public-list] Propane

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Aug 12 08:25:07 PDT 2005

Hi fellows - sorry for the long email but I find dinghies almost as
interesting a topic as anchors.

We tow a Boston Whaler Squall dinghy.  It is an 10 footer that has an
integral centre board and a nice long keel moulded in.

I prefer it over the lighter hard dink and inflatables we have had for the
following reasons:

- it sails really well and is a perfect 'first command' for my sons; I say
perfect because besides safety, in contrast to most sailing dinks it
actually handles well and as a sailboat should (good positive steering, no
lee helm etc) Many so-called beginner's boats are actually harder to sail
than 'real' boats.
- it has tons of bouyancy: the four of us can go ashore in one trip.
- it is self-bailing even with two people in it
- it has terrific stability -  I can stand on one gunwale, and even climb
aboard over the side from the water.
- it is a very solid working platform for carrying out anchors etc in
conditions where a lighter dink would be unsafe or an inflatable would be
impossible to row to windward.

On the negative side:

- it tows rather heavy - towing at 5 kts under power it takes the engine
nearly 100 more rpm to hit that speed than without the dink astern.   That's
a fair bit of drag. (
- on two occasions when we have run aground while towing it (we sail in
Georgian Bay where people say you are not doing it right if you don't touch
the rock every year or so...) the first thing that happens after the boat
stops is the solid wallop on the stern from the dink - which no doubt is
delighted to get back at the mother ship for holding it captive.

In an earlier exchange I described the funnel I have on the tow line which
has mostly solved the last negative and also made the thing safer to tow in
following seas.

On the whole I think the positives outweigh the negatives; but I would not
recommend towing a dinghy offshore unless you did so with the foreknowledge
that you would likely have to cut it away in heavy weather.  Having even a
lighter dinghy tossed into the cockpit by a following sea would be lethal.

These boats are not made anymore but if you can find one I would highly
recommend them.  I googled the model name once and found  that there is an
association for them - crazy.

Gord #426 Surprise

PS we named it 'Ringle' which makes sense to people who have read the
O'Brian books...