Dinghy stowage - was [Public-list] Propane

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Aug 12 12:18:15 PDT 2005

Hi John -

Sounds like no fun at all.  We have never had the dink hit us while under
weigh but once it surfed far enough along that given time it might have.

Our cure is to thread a large plastic funnel onto the tow line which we fix
with knots at a point about 12' from the dinghy.  When the dink is being
towed normally the funnel skips along but it the load comes off the line, as
it would if the dink surfs up, naturally bringing its end of the towline
with it...the funnel gets pulled through the water the other way and it acts
as a drogue.  This tends to slow the dinghy and also spoils its aim.  It
works very well.

Gord #426 Surprse