[Public-list] Reefing point: Inner Forestay

David Fisher liquid_addiction at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 19 02:28:31 PDT 2005

Hi John, I have an inner forestay on Kalitsah.  It is attached to the mast
at the spreaders.  I keep it tied off to the port chainplates when not in
use and, at the moment, set it just aft of the forestay, tensioning it with
a 6:1.  I set it up whenever I need the storm jib, but keep it down most of
the time to make tacking easier.

There are a couple of limitations with my current set-up that I will deal
with.  Setting the bottom of the inner forestay right to the bow puts the
storm jib a fair way forward, upsetting the balance of the boat.  This is
especially noticeable when hove to.  A strong attachment somewhere on the
foredeck would be more suitable; the bulkbead between focsle and anchor
locker would be most suitable for this.

Also important is to have running backstays.  It is possible to get by
without, as Kalitsah has done, however my gut feeling about the Alberg mast
extrusion is that it is happier not bending.  My current set up does bend
the mast, and it don't look happy!  So I reccommend runners.

Trysail: I plan to put one on too.  I'll put a separate track up, probably
to port.  Does anyone know of any standard Alberg measurements for trysails
and where to set them on the mast?

David,
Kalitsah 440
Sydney.