[Public-list] Ventilation

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Sat Aug 20 09:15:56 PDT 2005

Mostly increase comfort when sleeping in the v-berth - better ventilation for control of mildew, etc. is also a goal.

Dave Terrell wrote:
> I have been thinking about putting opening ports in as you know.
> After talking with some local people, I think that there may be a
> problem with doing that - aside from the cost and effort involved. If
> the port is open and there is no wind or what wind there is is
> blocked by boats in surrounding slips, little air will be introduced
> into the boat. I am assuming that if one were on a mooring with the
> boat facing the wind mostly, the wind would generally go past rather
> than into the ports most of the time.
>
> So here is another way to approach the ventitlation problem. Instead
> of putting in opening ports in the v-berth and/or the salon, one
> could install two solar vents - one in the hatch in the v-berth and
> one in the salon. The one in the v-berth would bring in air and the
> one in the salon would exhaust air. According to the Nicro specs, a
> system like that would move about 19,000 (800x24) cu ft per day -
> assuming  no leaks in the system, I think. (the figure seems like a
> lot to me, but the math is ok.) That and a well placed fan or two
> could help a lot. In additon, putting a shade over the fore hatch
> would keep the v-berth a lot cooler.
>
> Short of installing aircondtioning, the second solution might be more
> effective and cost a lot less.
>
> Any thoughts?

Are you looking to ventilate the boat in the slip, to prevent mildew, or
to ventilate the boat at anchor, to be more comfortable while you're aboard?

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash