[Public-list] Re:ventilation

Rob Alley 1ralley at comcast.net
Sat Aug 20 16:52:32 PDT 2005

Gordon:  I have the same problem--my slip is in a hole, with high banks
around, and lousy natural airflow.  I have found that a solar vent works
to keep the air moving when I am not on the boat-(most of the time)- and
the three fans work well when I am aboard.  Use white vinegar when the
mould gets ahead of the solar fan--which it sometimes does when I forget
to go weekly and pump the bilge this time of year. 219 is on the
hard--but it doesn't seem to make any difference whether in the water or
not.  Keep the engine cover and the sole hatches open.

PS:  In the days BAC (before air conditioning) on the Chesapeake, my
grandfather installed louvered doors on all the closets in his house
when my grandmother complained that all her shoes, leather purses, and
belts were growing mould in the closets.  He had every piece of leather
in the house washed in dilute white vinegar and set in the sun to dry,
and ordered that the fans used in the house be directed into the closets
for several hours weekly..  About once a year for the vinegar works
good.  Also works for stuff on the boat and sails if you can't put in a
washing machine.

Vinegar in the stores varies in strength, but is usually 2%-4%.  Cut it
at least 50%.  A 20% vinegar will strip the finish off of floors--and
you may need a gas mask!  Vinegar is sold in concentrate in Europe and
regularly used for cleaning.

Rob