[Public-list] Re:A-4

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Fri Dec 2 09:15:22 PST 2005

    Low compression is far more often a valve problem than rings. If you
test the compression and find a bad cylinder, dump in a couple of
tablespoons of oil and that will temporarily seal the rings. it COULD
seal the valves for a couple of minutes, but a valve leak is generally
going to make the compression lower than a ring leak. Just consider:
some of the valves sit open and moist air comes in the exhaust and
causes rust. It's a wonder there are not more valve troubles. Depending
on whether you can get to the engine and the valve chamber, you can do a
valve job with the engine in the boat.

    But I have a Westerbeke 21. It has as much power as the boat can
use, but is a very close fit. I don't know how to get at the air cleaner
element with the engine installed.

- Gordon White