[Public-list] Solar Panel

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Mon Dec 5 19:39:13 PST 2005

Lee & Bob... Thanks for asking about the pump.  I bought it at the boat
show about 15 years ago from a guy who was importing them from Norway. He's
no longer around but  the following web site has them (and a good description):

    http://www.jrsupplies.com/

She also has a sub-distributor around Cape Cod.

The pump has been great for me. It's an hydraulic piston the size of a
small bicycle pump with a moving float, hung over the fantail, with  a
suction tube running thru the lazarette down to the bilge. Wave action on
the styrofoam float pumps the piston which sucks the water from the bilge.
Absolutely reliable and keeps the bilges dry. Obviously it won't work in a
quiet protected anchorage as I was reminded during the fall cruise when we
woke in Harrison's Marina with water to the bottom of the batteries from
blown packing. But my normal mooring off the Severn gets plenty of wave
action to keep the pump pleasantly perking.

This reminds me to finally buy a replacement. The basic piston is fine but
the bail is wearing through and the styrofoam float is getting spongy. I
suppose I could overhaul, but...

It's worked for me all this time. I recommend it if you have a little wave
action.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181