[Public-list] Solar Panel

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Sat Dec 3 11:31:02 PST 2005

Hi Pete

>Gord

<snip>

>that if we set up
>our charging system so that the main engine had to be run >for an hour each
>day (instead of the traditional diesel gen set)

<snip>

Gord's experience supports what I was thinking. You don't
need another source of power so much as using available
power more efficiently.

Factory issue voltage regulators don't provide all power
generated to the batteries continously-they kick in and
out, even if the battery is discharged. What you need to
look at is a 'smart' regulator. I think West Marine is
selling them.

MichaelGrosh