[Public-list] Solar Panel

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Dec 3 06:47:00 PST 2005

Now there is an interesting subject - here is a thought to clutter the
discussion up.

Back in the 90's I ran a sail training establishment that delivered
programmes aboard a pair of 50 ton brigantines.  When we came to do a major
refit to one of them, the engine supplier made the comment that if we set up
our charging system so that the main engine had to be run for an hour each
day (instead of the traditional diesel gen set) we would cut our machinery
maintenance costs to a fraction.  It turned out that they were correct.

We built a tidy workshop in the space once occupied by the heavy gen set.

We put two high capacity alternators on the main engine, and on long
passages running it for an hour kept it lubricated and healthy while
supplying all the power we needed.  At the same time we also installed two
large solar collectors, but found that the amount of power they contributed
was not worth the space they took up, so they were later sold.

Ok - let fly folks - I expect mine will not be a popular opinion!

Gord #426 Surprise