[Public-list] Rudder cracked, Green Stains down the hull?

Villo Marmei marmei_v at pathcom.com
Fri Dec 16 13:05:49 PST 2005

Hi Mike....
My guess is that the green stuff is just plain Oxide/Rust coming out from
your brass/bronze rudder post. This oxidation is rather slow but still a
point of concern that has to be looked at.
I have seen 1 inch keel bolts completely corroded by salt water to the
point where some  middle sections were only 1/4 inch in diameter. I have a
marine bronze rudder post and also a drive shaft....but I do not see any
heavy corrosion only some light green coating. Take care
Villo