[Public-list] Rudder cracked, Green Stains down the hull?

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 16 13:24:35 PST 2005

Bob;
    Try taking a strong flashlight to see if the seal around the cutlass bearing
holder is leaking below the packing gland on the prop shaft and below the shaft
and even below the caulking back under there as well. It is a difficult spot to
try to see, but you need to get yourself draped over the motor and to one side.
If you can get something to dry the hull back there first like a sponge or
cloth  on a stick  it might help to see the small line of water, because it will
not drip - just trickle to the bottom of the bilge. If it is wet above the shaft
back there then it probably is the rudder packing. If only the front end of the
packing gland is wet, and running back along the bottonm of the shaft rather
than dripping,  then that is where the leak is. For ease of repair, you are
hoping for the last option!
Don #528