[Public-list] Cockpit coamings.

Jonathan Whittingham whittle at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 21 17:29:04 PST 2005

Tom S. wrote:

> Plywood coamings?
> Ouch!
>
> tom s

   Well, I knew that I would get some negative response to the
suggestion below. Fair enough. However I would really appreciate an
expanded  argument regarding the use of high quality plywoods,
especially if the coamings are finely edged and epoxied. My contention
is that the existing design of the coamings is flawed in that the
bending stresses encourage the splitting of the tailing section if
sideways pressure is inadvertantly applied, which is precisely what has
happened to mine. I would propose further heresy by attaching the tail
ends to a cross piece of timber, which would be bolted to the deck area
immediately behind the rear cockpit, thus protecting the timber from any
side pressure stress. Perhaps,Tom, you could advise as to whether your
"Ouch!" is relevant to form or function? Or both, perhaps. If so, I
would much appreciate further elucidation on the matter. Regards Jonathan.