[Public-list] Cockpit coamings.

JOHN GRAVES jg1111 at msn.com
Wed Dec 21 19:49:55 PST 2005

Jonathan,
My cockpit coaming split in the same place. Mine is made of solid mahogany. I don't know if it is original or not. I plan to replace it in the future but I haven't decided of what material.
What have you found in high quality marine plywoods? I work at a container port and I have noticed around the container maintainence area a really heavy duty industrial plywood that they use to repair the floors of containers. It looks to be really strong. It has to be very strong because they have to withstand the weight of the cargo that can be many tons and the weight of the forklifts rolling in and out loading and unloading. It is also exposed to being soaked down by seas at times. When I get a chance I'm going to try to track down the source for this material. I am going to have to replace the bulkhead between the V-berth and the head and gearlocker. The one with the main beam over it that supports the mast. I want to use something that is bomb proof because the support of the mast is one of the most critical part of a sailboat.
John (Trelawney #15)