[Public-list] Cockpit coamings.

Jonathan Whittingham whittle at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 22 09:17:17 PST 2005

Don Campbell wrote:

>>From your description, you are wanting to make a box that I presume fits over the deck so that it supports  the winches and offers a place for more storage with the inside face  where the coaming now is. This sounds to be something that would really impede the flow of water when (not if ) the rail is in the water. I would not attempt to join anything aft of the cockpit from side to side that would deflect the flow of water  into the cockpit. In fact, the early decks are much better at clearing water than the more recent ones and having a solid taffrail is not the greatest when well heeled.
>    As it is now , the winch pocket deflects enough water into the cockpit if we are well over and that is not my favorite way to get wet. If there were a wider stop more forward, I would be leery of added spray or input into the cockpit. Take your boat out and heel it over so that you can really look at the flow of water with the rail in the water before you begin this project and see how your proposed design might make your boat  unsafe.
>    To see how good epoxy on wood construction is,  go to Gougeon's technical sites  and Epoxyworks on the web. They still claim that an epoxy covered wooden core is the best possible solution for boat building and they proove it by the race results of epoxy coated wooden core  dinghies. Older well built epoxy/wood hulls are still more competative with age  than newer composite ones because of the resiliance of wood. Once the composite fatigues and oilcans with every wave, it is finished. But to use epoxy effectively, all 6 sides of every piece need to be sealed with epoxy. Then there is the UV factor, which epoxies do not cope with very well, so figure on covering it with a uv stable coating, pigmented is probably better.
>Don # 528
>
>Jonathan Whittingham wrote: Dear John,

I think I have not been clear about the rear structure proposed. What I
intend to do is bolt a timber directly under the traveller thereby
uniting the two extreme ends of the raised cockpit coamings. This would
be no more than two or three inches high. It would also be a convenient
fixing point for a pair of removable backrests that I have in mind. I
agree that moving the "box" forward of the winch footprint might
possibly increase the chance of water entering although I am not
entirely convinced. I have only had the rail in the water a couple of
times, didn't much care for it and am pretty vigilant at not allowing it
to happen. Have you tried a reef? he asks jokingly. Sorry, couldn't
resist. When I have had the green water running along the rail none has
ever caught on the winch box and shlooped into the cockpit. I imagine
that if I were heeled that far to let that happen, I may very well not
be in the cockpit at that moment and a lot wetter with bigger problems
than a bit of overspray.
   I am wavering on the plywood/solid wood debate. Does anyone have
experience with Makore as a marine hardwood? Regards Jonathan