[Public-list] Cockpit coamings.

Tom S. tom.s at insightbb.com
Fri Dec 23 06:53:21 PST 2005

Jonathan ..... As I read your comment on plywood coamings I conjured up an
imige of 5/8 inch CDX (construction roof sheathing). I have seen hatch
boards about this bad.

It might be alright if you used a very high quarity marine grade plywood
with teak or mahogany veneer and covered all exposed edges with solid teak
or mahogany (matching the veneer) epoxy these edges with splines or
biscuits. Then finish with several coats of a prefered varnish, Cetol, or
such.

I believe however by doing the above you would spend more time, more money
and experience more frustration then by just buying a good quality teak or
mahogany and reproducing thr original boards which seem to be doing very
well on most of these boats. My Alberg was made in 1970 and I am sure these
are the original coamings.

I do plan on trying to remove them this summer and  refinish them. If they
end up getting damaged in this process I will use them as a pattern and cut
new ones from solid teak or mahogany (probably teak)

tom s
A 30 412