[Public-list] Plexiglass in Sliding Hatch?

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 23 17:19:38 PST 2005

I put in a polycarbonate ("Lexan") piece in the sliding hatch of Emotional Rescue #303 about 2 years ago. It came out nice. Some things to be aware of: polycarbonate will expand and contract about 1/16" from the sun so one must allow it to move. I placed small round head screws about 1 inch apart, around the entire perimeter. I placed them in stainless steel washers that are sufficiently loose so that the poly can move. Flat head screws in cup washers would also work but they're expensive.
  One should put silicone sealant at least 1/16" wide around perimeter between the poly and the wood. Stain and varnish the wood BEFORE you get silicone sealant smeared around or the varnish will not take. Where it does not take (adhere) the spots are called "fish eyes". Ed. Schroeder

John Birch <Sunstone at cogeco.ca> wrote:
  Phil Birekenheier's A-30 Gemini has a smoked plexi teak rimmed companionway
hatch slider in place of the standard one - looks great. It's a fairly dark
smoked hatch - would guess about 50% reduction.