[Public-list] Plexiglass in Sliding Hatch?

bydel bydel at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 26 09:48:31 PST 2005

Pete,
I did exactly as you described. My wood was too far gone, so I installed a
slightly tinted sheet of Lexan. I left about a 1" lip and installed the
Lexan with screws, finish washers, lock nuts and a plastic spacer under the
Lexan. That gave me a 1" wide space for sealant.

The only drawback that I see so far(3 Years, no leaks) is that the
Charleston sun fades all the material in the cabin. I will fix that this
spring by installing a sunbrella cover over both the companionway slide and
hatch boards.
 I also have a piece of Lexan in a teak frame in my top hatch board.

Bill Ydel
SallyB #441