[Public-list] Trailering

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 6 10:45:18 PST 2005

    I have just measured my trailer for you and the inside measurements
between 2 1/4  x 2 1/4 pockets  that hold 2 x 2 posts is 72".  I have 4
of these pockets and posts per side in a length  of 138 inches as well
as 1 per side additional pocket and post at 45 inches ahead of the front
one of the 4,  but the spacing between these two is 52 inches to
accomodate the narrower bow. From the base to the surface on the posts
on which the adjustable part begins is 47 1/2 ". The boat is resting on
a 2 1/2"  hickory plank that sits on the base line that I have measured
to and the adjustment between the bearing surface of the post and the
flex part of the pad is from 4 inches at the beam to 10 inches at the
stern. The pad is about 2" with carpet included and then a 1" spacing on
the bracket for joining to the adjustable screw.  I also have brackets
that allow for the stern pads to be inside the 72 inch spacing by about
8- 10  inches. These brackets  also to allow for variable height from
the  bearing surface of the bracket on the post  to the base line so the
adjustable height is never more than 10 inches.  I prefer to try to
support more,  rather than less of the hull in transit and when I am on
the hull as well,  but let it rest on the plank. I am able to lift the
hull by hand with the 8 pads on 1" screws   for work and paintinig on
the very bottom of the keel.
    Weight on equipment trailers is not usually a significant issue
provided you have at least 2 - 6000 lb axles depending on the structure
of the trailer. I have a single axle -air ride 17,000 lb  axle on mine.
    When attaching tie-down straps, be careful not to over tighten them
because if the flex is taken out of the system, then you can  break the
boat, specially if you have the straps far aft or far forward and no
support below where you are tightening them. One twist in the strap will
stop flapping and chaffing.
    If you can find an hydraulic trailer but timing for a haul is not
good, then the thing to do is to put the boat on a cradle that is
supported on 6 or 8 - 8" x 8"  wooden blocks that will allow the trucker
to get the lift bars under it when he gets to it. Just make sure the
outside measurements of the cradle will be narrow enough to allow for
getting the cradle inside the trailer and that the cradle is long enough
to fit the possible positions of the lift bars.
    An A 30 is 3" overwidth for a ride on the road without a wide load
permit.
    I think George has a picture somewhere on the A30 website of my
trailer.
Don #528