[Public-list] Trailering

5thseason at canada.com 5thseason at canada.com
Mon Feb 7 07:32:03 PST 2005

I agree with Don.
Make a cradle after consulting with a boat hauler who
will advise on ground clearences and unloading
location.  The cost of triangular supports appear to be
cheaper than the cost of a trailer and all legal
requirements.  When I did my overhaul the truck company
needed 10" of ground clearence for my cradle.  Even
without a cradle the crane can be lifted directly to
the trailer then the hauler should be able to move the
boat with there support mechanism's talk to them you
may be surprised what they can do.
John Boor
MAHSEER #380
>     If you can find an hydraulic trailer but timing
for
> a haul is not
> good, then the thing to do is to put the boat on a
> cradle that is
> supported on 6 or 8 - 8" x 8"  wooden blocks that will
> allow the trucker
> to get the lift bars under it when he gets to it. Just
> make sure the
> outside measurements of the cradle will be narrow
> enough to allow for
> getting the cradle inside the trailer and that the
> cradle is long enough
> to fit the possible positions of the lift bars.
>     An A 30 is 3" overwidth for a ride on the road
> without a wide load
> permit.
>     I think George has a picture somewhere on the A30
> website of my
> trailer.
> Don #528
> Coolray wrote:
>
> > Association Members,
> >
> > I am new to your organiztion and am need of your
> > expertise. I am in the process of rescuing and
> > restoring hull #85. She is in disrepair and it will
> > take me several months to accomplish the overhaul.
> >
> > My initial challenge is transport. I am bringing the
> > boat to my house in Tallahassee. I have arranged the
> > haul out and to have the mast unstepped.
> > Unfortunately, it will be impractical and maybe
> > impossible to have a hydraulic trailer or crane
place
> > the boat on supports, then return six months later
> > reload the boat for a short trip to our nearest
coast.