[Public-list] Yep, Trailering, gets complicated

J. Brown scuttle1 at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 7 10:38:13 PST 2005

Towing is one of those areas with many rules and many different rules, as
well as different enforcement levels. As those folks stopped at the
Ontario/Manitoba border found out a few years ago. (almost everyone towing
a boat or trailer had at least one problem) That seemed to be the start of
much stricter enforcement in Manitoba but I think the increased popularity
of RVs and trailers combined with the reduced towing ability of many
pick-ups trucks (and SUVs)  in the 90's was the real cause for concern.

10" over width is indeed over width and can/will result in fines and being
stuck on the side of the road or at an inspection station for some time.
With a beam of over 8 feet no Alberg can easily avoid the oversize permit.
They are easy to get so shouldn't deter people from towing.

License requirements vary a little but keeping under the 10,000lb weight
for the trailer means that most (all?) areas will only require a basic
license. In Ontario that would be a Class G, or Class 5 in other provinces.
The towing limit for a Class G in Ontario is 4,600kgs or just over 10,000lbs.

That's one of the disadvantages of using a flat deck, because there is so
much more trailer than a custom built sailboat trailer they will likely be
over that 10,000lb amount (even if you completely empty the boat) and will
require more than a basic license. (thats what I meant)

Adding the weight of the trailer and load to the vehicles Gross weight
should not (maybe it would in some areas) apply to towing an Alberg because
it will always be over the limit for trailers without brakes. The tow
vehicle, if newer, should have a tow rating on the same tag as the GVWR.
That tow rating is one of the limiting factors. Tongue weight is added to
payload so that might be another limiting factor if the truck isn't empty.

Brakes are yet another area of complication. Some areas do not require all
axles to have brakes, so a three axle trailer could have one axle without
brakes. That makes the purchase a little cheaper and less brake hassles.
Other areas (most?) require all axles on the trailer to have brakes.

Even the type of braking allowed is different. Some areas have outlawed or
restrictions on the use of Surge Braking systems and there have been
attempts to have them outlawed everywhere. If a person has any concern
about that they are best to go with electric brakes but there are other
options there too. In BC there is a limit to the size of trailer with surge
brakes and the Alberg will be over that limit. Personally I don't like
surge brakes but I think I would prefer them if I launched my sailboat from
the trailer.

As mentioned tow vehicles are yet another area of complication. Each
vehicle is different, an example would be a new Ford F150. Towing capacity
ranges from 9,900lbs all the way down to less than 5,000lbs. Some could do
it, others couldn't, yet they all look pretty much the same. Many pick-ups
have tow ratings less than 5,000lbs. So do most cars. My model 1994 car has
a tow rating of 5,000lbs but the later model of the same car is rated for
less than 1,500lbs. Quite the range for the same vehicle.

Then of course there is the hitch. Even having a truck with a high enough
tow rating doesn't mean it is set up for it. Many seem to come with a Class
III hitch but a Class IV is the minimum required for the Alberg. The
goosenecks really are the best because they have the highest ratings and
make towing much easier.

And then there are tires. Talking to one of the road side inspectors (the
most feared) I found out that many people think they have everything
covered but will be overloading the tires. I gather this was more likely
with the SUVs and Pick-ups because people often do not consider weight
rating when buying replacements.

Then there are the issues of lighting, signage, overhangs, stability, load
securement, insurance, road load restrictions, tire width....more than
enough to convince the faint of heart to leave it to the experts.

But lots of owners have towed their Alberg with little problems. I think as
a group Alberg owners seem keen on safety and as a result are not likely to
be pushing the safety envelope. Unlike those MacGregor 26 owners! :)

(just kidding about the MacGregor owners, it just looks funny seeing a
little 4cyl econo box towing such a large boat at highway speeds)

Haefen