[Public-list] Flattening Reef Question

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Feb 16 14:50:58 PST 2005

Richard,
  I'm surprised no one responded so far.
  I only have limited experience with a true flattening reef. Just to be
sure that we're talking about the same thing, it is a second clew cringle
several inches up the leech with no corresponding tack fitting, right? A
friend's boat had one and we found it very useful for flattening the main
(beyond what the normal outhaul / foot tension could do), especially going
to weather when the wind was up. It allowed us to carry more main, longer
into a raising wind prior to reefing. It actually made the full main as flat
as a properly reefed main. Oddly, we also used it in moderatly light winds
to help us point up into the wind further.
  The real question is do you derig the second reef to rig this. How often
do you use the second reef?
Regards,
Brian    ex#497