[Public-list] Cockpit Coamings and Companionway Cover

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 23 08:25:23 PST 2005

Gord;
    From a plant physiologist, you might not be aware that the moss will be using
the coaming as part of its required environment for living, a receptical for ion
exchange,  particularly H+ ions which do a fair job of acidifying things when mixed
with water, and perhaps one of several sources for minerals  for its own structure.
So in the end the coamings will lose their structure as the moss becomes ever more
entrenched and consumes more and more materials from the coamings. It then becomes
a question of which you want to preserve,  the living or the structural materials.

Don # 528