[Public-list] Cockpit Coamings and Companionway Cover

5thseason at canada.com 5thseason at canada.com
Wed Feb 23 08:52:22 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:59:50 -0500, George Dinwiddie
wrote:
To all
On MAHSEER #380 1969 behind the coaming were 2in wide
strips of Buytle black tape. Even after 30 years it was
still plyable and relatively easy to get off.  Hardest
part was to break the bond without damage to the teak
wood.
John Boor
MAHSEER #380

> Meinhold, Michael J wrote:
> > I removed the cockpit coamings. Can anyone reccomend
> what sealant to use and
> > where to put it?
> > Should I just apply it along the edges after the
> coamings are back on?
>
> I used 2" wide by 1/8" or 1/16" thick neoprene gasket
> behind the coaming
> (at Bug Dolber's suggestion).  This has worked very
> well.  Look up
> "gaskets" in the yellow pages to find sources.  You
> might want to call
> around, as the prices seem to vary and for the size
you
> need, you might
> be able to find scrap.  The stuff I got had adhesive
on