[Public-list] Boat Surveys

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 6 08:19:35 PST 2005

Surveys can be a helpful tool when purchasing a boat or a necessity when trying to insure one.

When purchasing an Alberg 30 for instance, the best advice is to learn the boat yourself.  This 'List' is an excellent starting place.  Look at as many boats as you possibly can.  After looking at perhaps ten Alberg 30's you will begin to know the weaknesses of the boat and what questions to ask and where to look.

When purchasing a boat in the price range of a decent Alberg 30 let's say 12 to 15K, I would think that you would want to insure her against loss.  I don't know of any insurance company that would insure an older boat worth that much without a survey.

I would only order a survey if I was planning on buying the boat.  I mean money in hand ready to make the deal. Know as much about the boat as the surveyor.  To obtain the best value for your money spent on the survey, be present when the survey is conducted and ask questions and make notes.  It is buyer beware when buying older used boats.  The insurance company doesn't care how much you know about the boat.  They will want a recent survey, less than a year old, from a certified surveyor.  It's the paper and credentials they are looking to have on file.

Michael