[Public-list] Stainless Machine screws into Aluminum Masts

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 6 08:53:23 PST 2005

Hello,
If one is going to install Stainless Machine screws into Aluminum you must use some sort of corrosion barrier.  There is enough potential between SS and Aluminum to creat major dissimilar metal galvanic corrosion.

I have had much difficulity removing SS hardware from Aluminum.  Most of the time the SS twists off or galls up the threads to make them unusable when trying to back out the SS fastener when trying to remove the fitting.  80% of the time I end up having to carefully drill out the SS hardware.

On a fitting such as sail track, which might have to be removed for maintenance, I would prefer to use the Aluminum rivets.  There is no corrosion potential, they are plenty strong enough for the task and are 100 times easier to drill out when replacement is required.

My two cents.

Michael