[Public-list] Re: Public-list Digest Bottom Job

Dudley Baker dudley.baker at kongsberg.com
Fri Jan 21 08:26:30 PST 2005

My 2 cents ---

We bought our boat in fall of 03.  She had been on the hard for over 2 years when we bought her.
Many people encouraged me to epoxy barrier coat the bottom.    Am glad I did not.  She has always
been a Long Island/New England Boat and hence has been hauled religiously in the fall every year.
Also the previous owner had the bottom sanded and painted with Interlux ablative paint - a great
coating that does not build up.  So, I agree with George et al that the hulls do "breath"and that a
barrier coat only interferes in this process.  A boat in more temperate waters with irregular hauls
may be a different animal all together.

Dudley Baker
Heron, #297