[Public-list] Re: Mast Steps

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.UVic.CA
Wed Jan 19 14:48:49 PST 2005

My boat came with mast steps and I love them.
http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/pers/smIMG0014.JPG

I've done a significant amount of work on my mast (repairing
wiring, installing a wind indicator, putting boots on the
spreaders, checking the swages at the top of the rigging,
retreiving halyards, taking pretty pictures). If I'm going to
work for more than a minute or two, I tie myself to the mast with
a loop of line and a climbing carabiner.

The only draw back is sometimes halyards and sheets catch
on the steps and you have to go forward and shake them free.

I used to work on a 72' gaff-rigged ketch. Climbing the ratlines
to set the topsail was easy if things were calm but alarming if
there was any kind of sea running. Climbing an Alberg mast, even
though it is shorter, is slightly harder. OK at the dock, VERY
alarming when it blowing 25+ you're retreiving a halyard at the
top of the mast. This is mostly because the steps aren't very
wide, compared to ratlines, so you have think about your feet
more carefully.

Stephen

Quasar #495

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-721-8656
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-721-7715
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn