[Public-list] tiller head removal

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Sat Jan 29 13:48:41 PST 2005

Today it was a balmy 29 f in Travese City - but  much warmer under the tarp  - and I was working on removing the tiller head. It is loose and needs to be replaced - after 35 years of service.

I would like to get it off before I go to Strictly Sail in Cbicago next weekend where I intend to get a replacement ordered at those good old boat show prices. Anyway, I got it about 3/8 of an inch up the shaft and am not sure how to get it the rest of the way? The only thing I can think  of is to apply heat to the head but not the shaft it is on.

I am willing to assume that there is a reasonably simple/brilliant way to get it all the way off - I just do not know what it is.

So * Any other thoughts?

Many thanks as always.