[Public-list] Ice

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 28 22:23:51 PST 2005

Hi Todd;
     Try to avoid the situation of refreezing. What happens is that
there is a film of water between the main block of ice and the hull and
when this  film re-freezes, it has nowhere to go so does push out the
sides of the hull. Ruined many a sap bucket that way. Rocksalt will not
melt at the temps we are having now. About 8 degrees C of frost is all
that salt can cope with. You might try a 4 L jug of Methanol OR Methyl
Hydrate at hardware or Crappy tire stores ( gas-line antifreeze) to
start the process. It is hydrophylllic and will both melt the ice and
evaporate it off but you can also pump it out. Make sure you do get to
it this weekend when we are suposed to warm up a bit.
Don # 528