[Public-list] Anyone looking for a project A-30?

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 4 06:51:54 PST 2005

    That Carl Alberg often designed with lines similar to the Folkboat is our
good fortune. The latest model of the Folkboat is being imported from Denmark
to Nova Scotia. The price for it is $60,000 Canadian ( $50,000 US at current
exchange rates) and I wonder if these will be worth $12, - 15,000 in 40 years.
They are only 24 feet long and the cabin is much less than we have too. I do
know that the Folkboat woodies are being maintained as classics,  but they are
nowhere near the current price of an Alberg 30.
    C.B. Currier's comment about the success of the Alberg 30 on the Chesapeake
also applies to the Great Lakes. If we are to believe some rather opinionated
designers like Ted Brewer, who has determined a safety formula for hull
designs, and by that formula the Alberg 30 is the most stable of all production
boats, then whatever dollars we put in to maintain a safe hull is a reasonable
risk. Before I bought a "big" boat, I asked a good friend,  who has built over
30 boats,  what he would set as guidelines for safety on the Great Lakes. His
reply was a hull not less than 30 feet and with a full keel. We have found the
Alberg 30  to fit all of our safety and fun expectations. We have also found
Alberg owners to be an incredible group of friends.
    You will find that if you do buy an Alberg, you will get much more than a
boat.
Don