[Public-list] Anyone looking for a project A-30?

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Jan 4 09:08:17 PST 2005

Michael,

I certainly relate to your "spine tingle" paragraph below (forth one down)
and have found I enjoy working on my boat almost as much as sailing her; a
great advantage for someone who lives several hours from any sizable body of
water.  I took last week off, spent six days building casework for my wife
at home and only one working on the boat.  Even though the boat is in a
cold, dingy factory filled with 30 year old yellow iron (an A30 actually
looks rather small next to a Caterpillar front end loader), that one day was
way more fun then the six at home completing the "honey do" list.

>From my perspective, one of the best reasons to buy a fixerupper is the
opportunity to experiment and innovate.  I know this drives the "if it ant
broke, don't fix it" (thank goodness the A30 is not an airplane),
traditionalists crazy, but I get great enjoyment out of thinking outside of
the box and trying different solutions.  Starting with a well found, but
inexpensive boat (I paid $6,000 for  #148 with a new electrical system, low
hours diesel, good rig, deck and hull but bad sails) allows me the
opportunity try some different things without breaking the bank.  I fully
expect to stumble upon the next big sailing design idea any day now; or at
least have fun trying.

All the best,

Roger