[Public-list] Anyone looking for a project A-30?

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 4 07:24:14 PST 2005

Rachel,
It is either money up front or money down the road to get on the water with an Alberg 30.  For instance Bill Blevin's "Sabrina" sold for 12.5K on Ebay last month.  To me this was the bargain of the Century.  Bill spent at least two years work on the boat and all of his work was 'top shelf'.  I was on his boat a month before he sold her and she was very, very nice.

I also have looked at the Alberg 30 with Hurricane damage in Ft. Myers that could be bought for perhaps 3K.  The Ft. Myers boat has a solid hull and decent spars and a running Atomic bomb engine plus a spare engine, and decent roller furling headsail.  This is a good solid hull which needs most everything else.........over time.  I really feel badly for this boat, it needs a good home and could be brought back to her justified glory.  But if one spent close to the 9.5K difference between the Fl boat and 'Sabrina' one would still not have as nice a boat as 'Sabrina'.

The original purchase price is only the beginning.  An initial low purchase price is not necessarily a good deal.  In fact, buying a boat that has been well cared for and regularly sailed will pay you back unfold dividends in both cash and time saved.  If you have lots of time and possess the skills to do the work yourself then perhaps, just perhaps, you may break even by purchasing a neglected boat and bringing her back versus buying a boat like 'Sabrina'.

The other part of the equation is that some, perhaps many on this list, will/have made the effort to bring back a neglected boat because it makes their spine tingle.  Some will bring back a wonderful classic boat, a piece of marine history if you will, just because it makes them feel good.  It fulfills a basic need/desire that they have.  Cost in money and time are not considered when fulfilling this desire, it is as though fate has driven the owner.  The pleasure of sailing an Alberg 30 is also reason enough to restore one.  This is a boat that will take you out to sea and confidently bring you back.

Rachel, you must bear in mind that the most expensive boat that you will ever own is the one that you get for FREE.   Honestly, do the math and you will see that this is true most of the time.

Good luck with your search.  I agree with others on this list, the cost is going to be 10-15K either up front or over time, the decision of when you invest the money is up to you.

Michael

Michael <dickdurk at intercom.net> wrote:
I wonder if anyone on the list would consider owning a 30' sailboat with an
expectation of spending less than $10-15,000 to get it on the water.

I wouldn't - but I wouldn't consider owning an Irwin or equivalent either.
Michael Grosh