[Public-list] Mast step repair

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Jan 6 08:43:33 PST 2005

Putting brain in gear, since it's a newer boat, it's not the beam itself
that's sagged, but the bulkheads that hold it up.  Sometimes they're not
cut to fit snugly in the lower liner, and sometimes the liner itself has
sagged.  If either has happened, I would fix that problem, first.

If only the cabin top has sagged, at the aft end of the step because the
beam is at the forward end of the step, then probably jacking the deck
back into place before recoring will be sufficient.  The strength of the
stress-skin pannel formed by frp bonded on each side of the core is what
holds the mast up; the inner liner is not structural.

I recall Read Beigel describing how he built a new oak stiffener for the
port head bulkhead that was wider at the top, extending aft from the
bulkhead, to provide extra support.  I don't remember what boat that was
for.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.