[Public-list] Stainless Machine screws into Aluminum Masts

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Thu Jan 6 09:44:41 PST 2005

Tefgel or Sikkens 291 will work well as an anti seize on SS fine thread
machine screws in your mast - source Klacko Spars - been through the mast
refurbishment game and leaned a ton. One thing for sure - mast work it time
consuming, I spent a week with them helping to remove and reinstall
fittings.

Oh, by the way, Gord is right - if you can't match the new screws to the old
holes you can fill the old holes with drilled and tapped SS set screws
which will bring a lot of strength back into the mast if you have to drill
new screw holes for the new Sail Track and use SS machine screws to secure
it.

Suggest you use 291 to bed the new track and break the electrolytic contact
between the SS track and Aluminium mast. Tefgel or 291 for the machine
screws so they don't seize and corrode the threads.

Cheers,

John