[Public-list] Stainless Machine screws into Aluminum Masts

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 6 09:18:49 PST 2005

Mark,
Thanks for the tip.  In this instance, mainsail track, I would rather eliminate the hassle by using Aluminum rivets as were used by the original manufacturer.

Another super product for taping non-ferrous metals is called 'Tap Ease'.  It usually comes in a pint or quart can with a squirt nozzle.  Mill supply houses will carry it and perhaps auto parts stores, heck maybe even Walmart has it.

Mpete53 at aol.com wrote:
Removing stainless fasteners from aluminum, try heat. A propane torch
usually gives enough heat to expand the aluminum so that you can remove the
fastener. The paint it would be toasted.

Taping Aluminum. A friend of mine gave me some sulfur based tapping fluid,
he said the name of the product is "Sul floe." The stuff works great. The taps
cut clean and easily. Where to get it? I don't know, but if you find it try
it.

Mark