[Public-list] New Subscriber and the ICW

5thseason at canada.com 5thseason at canada.com
Sat Jan 8 10:50:18 PST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:57:24 -0500, "Jim Davis" wrote:
Jim
I have an auto tiller on the boat but found it of little
value. I found in the narrow channels evey though they are
long I found that the boat began to yaw (side to side
motion) because the responce time of the auto tiller was to
long, once it began to turn it just got worse.  The only
place where it was of use was the Jersy coast, Delaware,
Chesapeak and Biscany Bay.  My auto tiller is an old
Tillermaster.
John

> Having just finished taking the boat as far as Vero Beach,
> would say plan at least 6 weeks to Vero Beach.  John is
> right about long days under power, triple check your
engine,
> also I would have an autopilot - they are great for the
long
> straight sections.  A remote control is also worth having.

> As for planning I used "Skipper Bob's book", the Waterway
> Guide, Tom Dove's ICW webpage
> http://mysite.verizon.net/tomdove/  and the Atlantic
> Intracoastal Waterway Association web page
> http://www.atlintracoastal.org/ .   Also just before
leaving
> go to Skipper Bob's web site and get the latest updates.
>
> Most important in your planning is to enjoy the trip, visit
> the smaller towns, play tourist and relax.
>
> Jim Davis
> S/V Isa Lei
> CT 35
>

> If man does find the solution for world peace it will be
the