[Public-list] Roller furling sails

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 11 19:42:12 PST 2005

Chris;
    I have a 10 :1 outhaul that exits both sides of the boom at the cockpit.  I
go from the eye at the outer end of the boom to a 2500 lb WL  block on the clew
of the sail to a  1200 lb WL through boom block at the outer end of the boom in
the bottom of the groove with a spectre line that ends on the shackle of a 600
lb WL triple in the boom.  I also have a 600 lb WL double in the boom tethered
with a cable from an eye at the front inside of the boom to the shackle so that
there is about 30" between blocks. I then run a spectre line from one side of
the boom through a small 150 lb WL  through boom on the flat faceof it   to the
outer on the triple,  then to the double,  to the centre of the triple, to the
other side of the double,  back to the triple and then exit the other side of
the boom with a second exit block. The exits are offset about 18" and there are
two small cam cleats aft of the exits to cleat the outhaul. The basic set-up is
in the H***** catalogue but you could use any similar blocks. The double and
triple amount to a 5:1 and the block on the sail clew doubles it. I have no
problems adjusting  a main in any weather and to any small adjustment on any
point of sail. We race in Slumber Bay, Toronto but sail out of Port Dover, so
this definitely works for the lower Great Lakes.
    If you have not already replaced the rivets holding the end plates at both
ends of the boom with round headed machine screws, I suggest you do that now to
avoid having them shear under load, which they have been known to do. You only
need to tap the end plates as the boom fits over them by about an inch or so.
That way you have access to the inside of the boom to thread the spaghetti.
    If you need more, e-mail me off list. I will be in Toronto on the 22nd for
the Great Lakes Alberg Association annual meeting at the National YC. It is a
good place to meet a group of Alberg sailors and get the information you are
wanting first hand.
Don   # 528