[Public-list] Graymarine Engine transplant

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 18 08:29:02 PST 2005

Paul,
The Gray Marine is a simple and unsophisticated power plant.  Because of this it can be quite reliable.  In addition to Van Ness there is also someone near Cleveland who has parts for Gray Marine and rebuilds them.

I agree with William Wallace.  Don't panic, most likely, weak compression in two cylinders is from valves particularly if there is no blue smoke coming from the exhaust.  These are low compression L-head engines and are susceptible to carbon deposits getting lodged on the valve seats.  Just like your lawn mower engine, pull the head re-lap the valves and off you go again.  None of this is rocket science and because of that almost anyone can keep the engine running.

You can go out and pay 10K plus for a new diesel transplant and if you don't have a clean fuel tank you will be back to square one.  KISS.  I would follow William's advice, start with the basics.

If you are looking to barter with the seller because the current motor doesn't run well, then ask for $500 off the asking price.  Unless the engine is smoking badly, makes lots of banging noises, and has less than 10 psi oil pressure at 2200 rpm, then $500 will do wonders toward getting the current motor up to good running condition.

P.S. If you do purchase the boat and still want to replace the Gray Marine, I would like to have first refusal to purchase your Gray Marine for spare parts.  My boat has a Gray Marine and I have no intention of replacing the motor, ever.

Something else to consider when doing a transplant.  Aside from using the auxillary to get you out of a bind now and again, how do you plan to use your Alberg 30?  Do you plan on sailing her or motoring her about?  What is the nature of your sailing area versus where she is docked moored?
For instance my boat #133, a 1966 has only 297 hours showing on the engine tachometer.  That is kind of like purchasing a 1966 automobile with only 10,000 miles on it.

Either these owners never used the boat or when they did they really sailed her.  Because I am only the third owner and the second owner knew the first owner I was able to determine that the boat was mostly sailed.  It only took the second owner 15 minutes of engine operation to get out to sailing. He owned the boat for twenty years.

Paul if you changed to another power plant from a Gray Marine.  You would most likely need to change the transmission, the length of the shaft and the propeller.  Because the new engine would develop different torgue at a different rpm.  At the same time you might feel compelled to install a better coupling, shaft log and dripless stuffing box...........................let's see now what else is down there.................  You get the point one thing leads to another.

My point is that unless you know absolutely that your desire is to cruise with the auxillary for hours at a time, then KISS.  Just get the Gray Marine running well.

Michael

Paul Lacasse <PLACASSE at SUSCOM-MAINE.NET> wrote:
Hi Folks;
What do you folks think about a 40 yr old 30 HP Graymarine engine? I'm told
it runs (it is in an Alberg 30 that I am proposing to buy).
Some questions:

1: Has anyone out there replaced an original Graymarine with another of the
same type? Price? Problems?

2: What would one think about the transmission attached to it?

3: Are there engines that would bolt up to my transmission?

4: What other systems would need to be modified if replacing entire unit?
(besides the mounts)

5: What other types of units have you folks put in to your boats and how do
prices compare?

I would do a lot of this work myself, if another Graymarine, I would do it
all. I intend on doing a complete engine, not a long block (covers, carbs,
distributor, wires, pan, etc) I may be foolish and deranged, but this has a
big impact on the offer for the Alberg 30 and the depth of the monetary
well. I already know I will need all new rigging, wiring and possibly a new
mainsail.

Thanks for all the help and advice you guys have already given me.

Paul Lacasse
Brunswick, Maine