[Public-list] Bottom Job

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Jan 20 10:21:28 PST 2005

I'll second that opinion.  I've known of a couple A30's that had more
problems after barrier coating than before.  In general, A30's don't
blister much.  My theory is that the gelcoat is so porous that the
hydrolyzed resin byproducts pass back out through the gelcoat without
lifting it.  Also, keeping the bilge dry seems to correlate with lack of
blistering problems.

In any event, for a small area, I would just grind and fill those
blisters.  I've never known of an A30 to have blisters to the point of
threatening the integrity of the hull.

If you do decide to barrier coat, you'll need to really dry out the
boat, much more than just a winter on the hard.  Maybe a winter of
vacuum drying or a year of covered storage.  Maybe more.  And I'd
suggest that you barrier coat the bilge, too, as I think that water
penetrates just as much from the inside if you let it accumulate in the
bilge.

I recommend the Drip Less packing described on
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/StuffingBox/ so
that you don't need to let the stuffing box drip.  Store your charts in
the bilge.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.